The Vintgar Gorge

 

The Radovna river cuts the Vintgar gorge deep between the hills of Hom and Boršt. It is flanked by steep slopes overgrown with beech forests.

Locals have always viewed the gorge with awe and respect. It was discovered in 1891 by Mr Jakob Žumer, the mayor of Gorje, and Mr Benedikt Lergetporer, a cartographer and photographer from Bled. Both were amazed by the beauty and the mysterious character of this natural attraction. In 1893 the gorge was opened to the public. Constructing a secured tourist trail through the wild gorge was a demanding and an extremely dangerous undertaking.

The roar of the fettered Radovna river echoes along the 1,600m-long gorge, full of small waterfalls, rapids, and erosion potholes where the river briefly slows down its pace. Trails, narrow passages, and bridges lead a visitor to the end of the gorge, witch is marked by the magnificent 16m-high waterfall Šum, the highest fluvial waterfall in Slovenia.

The Vintgar gorge is closed to public during winter.