The building directly along the main road is nowadays the main village library. Throughout its history, the purpose of the building has varied greatly. Originally, it was built as the Gorje Community Centre (Gorjanski dom), owned by the Education and Reading Society of Gorje. The grand opening of the Community Centre took place as far back as 1883. Records on this important event show that it was at that time one of the first public buildings in Carniola dedicated to culture. The main credit for the construction of the Community Centre, in addition to the Gorje locals who contributed both in work and money, is attributed to the teacher Janko Žerovnik and the then mayor Jakob Žumer, who was also the key promoter of the development of the Vintgar Gorge.