During World War II, the inhabitants of Radovna supported the partisan movement. By 1943 the whole village was active in the fight against their German oppressors. The village was the crossroads of numerous trails leading from Pokljuka to Mežakla, and it represented the starting point of the courier route to Koroška (Carinthia). The activists of the Liberation Front, Jesenice unit, conducted their meetings here, and it was from Radovna that supplies were being delivered to the partisan technicians and activists operating in the nearby mountain rocks. On 20 September 1944, Germans and their local collaborators retaliated by burning the village down. The ruins of the Smolej farmhouse, and a monument uncovered in 1961, still stand here in memory of the tragedy.